Cause Everyone Else is Doing It...

Monday, January 16, 2006

Stuck in neutral

I played a lot of live poker this weekend. All small low buy-in NLHE tournaments. I ended up cashing in 3 out of 4 tournaments, but broke completely even. (Never higher than a 3rd place finish)

On Saturday, Season 3 at the Big O Poker Room began with a smaller rebuy tournament with 12 players.

First hand of the tournament at the other table, somone suggests everyone go all-in blind since A. It's the first tournament of the new season and B. It's a rebuy tournament. Well 4 players did, including Mrs. Mookie, and her QJ won. So right off the bat she started with close to 70K in chips.

That was pretty much the theme for the night at that table, as they had 8 rebuys there to our 1 rebuy at our table. After the rebuy period ended things calmed back down.

I love playing short handed, and early on I was able to chip up by playing a lot of small pots cheaply.

There was a huge hand at the other table between Pants and Mrs. Mookie. She limped in on the button and Pants checked his option in the BB. The flop was A A T rainbow. Pants checked while commenting "I'll slowplay", Mrs. Mookie responded "I won't" and pushed all-in. Now she was the chipleader, however, Pants had just doubled up by hitting a straight flush and had alot of chips as well. He called and turned over A9, while Mrs. Mookie had TT. No help for Pants and Mrs. Mookie went over 100K in chips.

-------------------------
CORRECTION: Pants checked the flop, Mrs. Mookie bet the flop and Pants called. On the turn Pants checked and MM went all-in and Pants called
-------------------------

We went to the final table with 10 players and I had an above average stack. Since both players that busted came from the other table, (and because of the 8 rebuys) they all had monster chips.
I took a tough beat early on to make me a shortstack. This kept me from playing many pots. We lost a few players and I continued to nurse the shortstack. Meanwhile, Mrs. Mookie took a tough beat against Mikey and that brought her back to the pack.

With the blinds moving up and my stack staying the same, I pushed all-in with ATd and ran into the recent bracelet winner's (aka Toby Moneymaker) QQ. Luckily for me, an ace came on the turn and I doubled up.

We made it down to 5 players and saved a few crumbs for 5th. After losing Jim in 5th, I lost a couple of large pots, one to Mrs. Mookie and again found myself on the shortstack. Moneymaker knocked me out when we raced his 99 vs my KJ.

In the end, Mrs. Mookie faced Mikey heads up. Mikey had a 3-1 chiplead and was able to pull out the win.



We ended up playing another tournament that night, and my 11 yr. old daughter played. She ended up knocking me out and finished 3rd.

-------------------------

Last night I played a small tourney and squeaked into the money. Went home and played a little online while watching Friends: Season 2 with my wife (And no I don't want to hear any "You know how I know you're gay.." references)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home