Cause Everyone Else is Doing It...

Monday, January 02, 2006

New Books

My wife gave me three poker books for Christmas:

Ace on the River by Barry Greenstein
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: Lessons and Teachings in No Limit Texas Hold'em by Phil Gordon
Doyle Brunson's Super System 2 by Doyle Brunson (and various other pros)

I just finished reading Ace on the River. The book is paperback but has a "coffee-table book" page and picture quality. There are pictures on every page. The content of the book is geared towards "advanced" players and covers multiple forms of poker along with with different aspects of poker (money management, psychology, math, etc.). This is a great book if you are looking to advance your game or if you are considering "going pro". Even if you aren't looking to do either of these things, there is still plenty of good information to be found.

I think I will read Phil Gordon's book next and then after I finish that I will start on Super System 2. Another thing I want to try to do this year is learn to play more than just NL Hold 'Em. If and when I finish Super System 2, I will probably re-read some or all of Ace on the River since there were alot of sections I skipped since I have no clue on how to really play Stud, Triple-Draw, etc.

If you are looking to improve your NL Hold 'Em tournament game, I think Harrington on Hold 'Em Volume 1 and Volume 2 are still the best books out there right now.

2 Comments:

At 12:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read Theory of Poker (Sklansky)? That's another fantastic book. It is probably the most useful too.

 
At 4:17 PM , Blogger mookie99 said...

That was one of the first books I read. It took awhile to get in the groove with reading it due to the math and Sklansky's style, but it is a great book.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home